MACS ROCK!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MACS ROCK! discusses all things APPLE MAC

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ultimate Leopard for iPhone
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 12:08 pm by Bear Hunter

» Cool sites
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 2:52 pm by Admin

» Apple is looking beyond Multi-Touch
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:52 pm by iMacoo7

» Supposed iPod nano 4G really unboxed
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:14 am by iMacoo7

» PWnage 2.0 & later
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:16 am by iMacoo7

» Apple Rejecting Apps Based on 'Limited Utility'
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 am by iMacoo7

» Analyst: Apple mulling ow-cost ‘iPod phone’
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 9:56 am by iMacoo7

» Apple applies for ‘Cocoa Touch’ trademark for iPhone
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 9:54 am by iMacoo7

» RUMOR: iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed?
Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:28 pm by iMacoo7

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Stay cool with the MacBook Air

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Stay cool with the MacBook Air Empty
PostSubject: Stay cool with the MacBook Air   Stay cool with the MacBook Air Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 am

by Jason Snell, Macworld.com
Quote :
I love my MacBook Air, but a few months back I discovered a problem that made me seriously consider giving it up. The issue: Turns out that Intel’s Santa Rosa chip architecture, used by the MacBook Air, shuts down a core when it gets too hot. The result? At random times, generally on warm days and generally in the afternoon after I’d been using my MacBook Air for a while, the computer would become crazily unresponsive. Turns out I was running on a single processor core!

RELATED LAPTOP ARTICLES
The Portable Office: Tales of Travel Terror
The Mac keeps driving Apple
Intel Atom for netbooks costs 52% more than desktop version
Centrino 2: Coming soon to a Mac near you?
Recent Macworld Video Posts
Jul 25
Jul 18
A look at Sun’s VirtualBox
Jul 11
Hands on with the iPhone 3G
Macworld Video home
View all Macworld blogs
Running two cores at lower speeds is much preferable to running a single core at a higher speed. The sad thing is, the MacBook’s built-in software currently just isn’t up to the task. So I reluctantly tried CoolBook, a $10 utility that lets you reduce the speed and voltage of the MacBook’s processor.

I was skeptical, but two months later I haven’t noticed a single instance of a core shutdown. While recording this video, I disabled CoolBook, pulled up a couple of Flash-based Web videos and, sure enough, within 10 minutes I was once again experiencing full core shutdowns.

Here’s hoping Apple fixes this extremely annoying problem in a future software update. But in the meantime, this $10 utility has managed to keep me from abandoning the MacBook Air out of sheer frustration.

Anyway, if you’d like to hear me yammer on about CoolBook and core shutdowns, check out the video.

Download Macworld Video #60:http://media.macworld.com/media/vodcast/mwvodcast60.mp4

Format: MPEG-4/H.264
Resolution: 320 x 240 (iPhone & iPod compatible)
Size: 16.4MB
Length: 5:30
Article compliments of MACWORLD
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1